My Mission

I am on a mission to watch the 100 greatest movies of all time, and watch them all in the next six months. Each film will be rated in 3 categories:
1) How much I like the move will be rated from 0-5.
2) "Would I own it?"
3) "Would I recommend it to someone else?"

Total Time Spent Watching Movies

129 hr. 56 min. 28 sec.

Thursday, August 19, 2010

West Side Story (1961) *Gillian Pick*

Oh man it has been a long time! I apologize to all of you for not writing a review in a while but October was here, and I could only watch scary movies. I call it "Fright-tober" and it's awesome. Anyway, on with AFI's list.

It is crucial to be politically correct in this day and age. Because of this P.C. push, there are many topics that are now taboo to talk about. One such topic, that has been in the news a lot lately, is homosexuality. It has become taboo to call something "gay" no matter how true it may be. At the risk of not being politically correct I just have to say, "West Side Story is gay!"

West Side Story is based on a little play by Bill Shakespeare called Romeo and Juliet. Just in case you've been living under a rock your whole life, or you're not a big Leo fan I will explain the plot.



Essentially there's two rich families that are always fighting. Romeo and Juliet are from opposing families, but fall in love anyway. There's lots of fighting, some member of the feline royal family dies (Tybalt the "King of Cats"), and Romeo is banished. In order to be together, Juliet fakes her death but Romeo doesn't hear about it and offs himself. As far as tragedies go, it's quite good. West Side Story is exactly the same, except for some crucial points:

1. Instead of rich families they are street gangs that dance
2. Instead of fighting, there's lots of dancing
3. Instead of being sucked into a believable love story, the audience can't help but feel that Tony (Romeo) is gay because of all the dancing he does.
4. Did I mention there's dancing?

I will say that this film is visually stunning with the colors that are used, and the dance scenes are very well put together, but the main problem with this movie is the singing. No amount of dance fighting can save it either.



The songs don't flow very well, and it gives the impression that they were written the night before. Not to mention the kids they got to sing are not much better then a local high school choir. I feel bad for not liking a movie that a good friend of mine likes enough to own, but it's the way I feel. I guess this means that I would never survive on the hard streets of Manhattan like the Jets and the Sharks.

The bottom line:
Rating: 3.3
Would I own it? Not even if I was threatened with a plague on my house (Shakespeare joke)
Would I recommend it? I would to a band of "merry" men

4 comments:

  1. Big shocker that Jameson hardy, brother of Patricia hansen doesn't like a musical.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel "Im a shark" JohansonNovember 12, 2010 at 2:03 PM

    Listen you uncultured swine. WSS is one of the best musicals ever made. Just listen to all the snapping that goes on and you will understand how significant this film is. How does the song "Maria" not bring you to tears? I am not sure I even know you anymore...

    ReplyDelete
  3. He just says "Maria" over and over. That's not moving.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just because I own it doesn't mean I love it... I haven't watched it in years because it was a let down the last time I viewed it. It was one of those purchases I made because it was on all the "best of" lists...so not a best of in my opinion. Oh well, I don't really know any of the songs so I can't defend it and the only actors I know are in it is Natalie Wood and Gideon from Seven Brides for Seven Brothers (his name escaped me). At least you can say you don't need to see it again!

    ReplyDelete