My Mission

I am on a mission to watch the 100 greatest movies of all time, and watch them all in the next six months. Each film will be rated in 3 categories:
1) How much I like the move will be rated from 0-5.
2) "Would I own it?"
3) "Would I recommend it to someone else?"

Total Time Spent Watching Movies

129 hr. 56 min. 28 sec.

Saturday, August 14, 2010

A Streetcar Named Desire (1951) *Gillian Pick*

I was in the drama club in high school, and I can describe it in one word, "Ridiculous." On top of only doing stupid plays, we never actually prepared for them. Can you really blame us though? Who wants to put a lot of effort into a Christmas play written by a fellow classmate; or a play about a Frankenstein like monster that is kept alive by the blood of unwed mothers? The only thing that happened in our club that was of any cultural significance was we watched A Streetcar Named Desire. I'm glad that I was able to watch this movie again. There was a lot I missed the first time because I couldn't hear over all the sighs from the girls undressing Marlon Brando with their eyes.

Let me take a moment and talk about the sexiness of Marlon Brando. He is ripped in A Streetcar Named Desire, but has had problems with his weight all his life. For example, he showed up to the set of Apocalypse Now severely overweight. Just look at the comparison of sexy Brando and chubby Brando.



Like night and day! Unfortunately I'm more comparable to the chubby Brando than the sexy Brando.

A Streetcar Named Desire is about an aging Southern Belle, Blanche DuBois, who is forced to move in with her sister Stella and brother-in-law Stanley when she looses the plantation to creditors. It becomes very obvious that Blanche is crazy, and Stanley is controlling and abusive. As a matter of fact, the most famous scene from Streetcar is a by product of Stanley's abuse. Here is the musical version:



All in all this movie was ok, but just like many others on AFI's list it was a little boring. It just seemed to me like something that not many people could actually identify with. Maybe I'm just crazy like Blanche. It is an iconic movie despite how boring it was at times.

The Bottom Line:
Rating: 3.8
Would I own it? Well Marlon is yummy.
Would I recommend it? Yeah. It should be seen once at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment