My Mission

I am on a mission to watch the 100 greatest movies of all time, and watch them all in the next six months. Each film will be rated in 3 categories:
1) How much I like the move will be rated from 0-5.
2) "Would I own it?"
3) "Would I recommend it to someone else?"

Total Time Spent Watching Movies

129 hr. 56 min. 28 sec.

Monday, August 2, 2010

King Kong (1933) *Gillian Pick*

I still have a lot of movies to watch, and not a lot of time. In order to alleviate some of the problems with finding these movies my good friend Gillian has loaned me 16 movies off of AFI's list. Each review that features a movie that she loaned me will have a label dubbing it as such. Thanks Gillian!

There are a lot of monsters in this world: King Kong, Godzilla, Joan Rivers. Each of them has their own domain that they terrorize until someone knocks them down a peg. Where there's a monster, there's some equally monstrous person that wants to make money on the monster's persona. Take the circus for example. That stupid ringleader just keeps making money off of the bearded lady. King Kong is no exception.

Filmmaker Carl Denham loves to make exciting movies about nature. He's like the Steve Zissou of New York. The problem with being a big star is that you always have to outdo yourself. Lucky for him he gets a tip about an island that has a terrible monster like the world has never seen. So with a lovely woman in tow, he heads to this island that time forgot.

Along with having a giant gorilla living on it, this island has a lot of dinosaurs. Apparently this one island wasn't affected by the meteor (or in my opinion the lack of Cheetos) that killed off the dinosaurs. Luckily Denham wouldn't come to such treacherous terrain without gas bombs.



I have a personal connection with this movie because when I was little I had a plastic King Kong doll. Somewhere along the line he got a hole right in the crotch region, but that made him more fun in the bath. I would fill his hollow body with water, and then poor it out of the hole. It looked like he was peeing. Man I had an awesome childhood.

This movie was pretty solid, especially considering how old it is. The acting is a little weak, and it's the special effects look a little fake, but not bad for it's time. All of the monsters are done with claymation, and although they look really good, their movements are not very fluid. It's no Nightmare Before Christmas, but it's tolerable.



The bottom line:
Rating: 3.9
Would I own it? Probably not, but I would own another King Kong doll. My bath times are boring now.
Would I recommend it? It probably will happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment