My Mission

I am on a mission to watch the 100 greatest movies of all time, and watch them all in the next six months. Each film will be rated in 3 categories:
1) How much I like the move will be rated from 0-5.
2) "Would I own it?"
3) "Would I recommend it to someone else?"

Total Time Spent Watching Movies

129 hr. 56 min. 28 sec.

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Sound of Music (1965) *Gilllian Pick*

Europe is a beautiful continent. I spent some time there, and loved it. The lack of preservatives in the food, the hot and smelly public transit, the vast amounts of history. How could you not love it? Unfortunately with history comes historic atrocities. The Sound of Music is a scary movie about an evil family living in Austria during WW II.


Actually The Sound of Music is a happy musical by Roger and Hammerstein. It's the true story about Maria, a nun in training that is sent to be a nanny to the seven children of a stern widower. To prevent himself from remembering his dead wife, their father Captain Von Trapp has removed everything happy from his life. Maria's happy nature, and tendency to sing, quickly changes that situation.

I keep trying to deny the fact that I like musicals, but so far it isn't working. I really enjoyed this film. It isn't the best musical I have seen, but the location makes up for it. The one complaint I had while watching it is that it only has enough songs to make for half of a musical. Every song is repeated at least once which really made the movie feel dragged out. Still the music is fun enough to not care that much. I have fond memories of sitting in the back seat of my grandparents car, with the heater cranked up full blast even though it is 9o degrees outside, and listening to "How Do You Solve a Problem Like Maria?" while my grandma swore about my grandpa's bad driving. Aah memories.

The Bottom Line:
Rating: 4.4
Would I own it? I love Julie Andrews so yes.
Would I recommend it? Did I not just say I love Julie Andrews?

No comments:

Post a Comment