My Mission

I am on a mission to watch the 100 greatest movies of all time, and watch them all in the next six months. Each film will be rated in 3 categories:
1) How much I like the move will be rated from 0-5.
2) "Would I own it?"
3) "Would I recommend it to someone else?"

Total Time Spent Watching Movies

129 hr. 56 min. 28 sec.

Saturday, August 14, 2010

Rear Window (1954) *Gillian Pick*

Watching people when they don't know they're being watched is really fun. That sounds really creepy, especially coming from me because I'm a bus driver, but it's true. Go out and "people watch" for an afternoon and you'll not only be surprised by what you learn about people, but you will be surprised how much fun it is. Of course I imagine that it would lose the fun factor if I had nothing better to do than "people watch." Rear Window tells of a man in such a predicament.

L.B. Jefferies is an action photographer, played by Jimmy Stewart, that has suffered a terrible accident on the job. As a result he is confined to a wheelchair while his broken leg heals. In the summer heat he has an open view to all of his neighbors' personal lives because no one wants to have the windows closed in 100 degree weather. When Jefferies becomes convinced that one neighbor has committed murder he will stop at nothing to prove it.

Does this plot sound familiar to you? Well that's because Hollywood resurrected this story when they made the movie Disturbia.



Let me just come right out and say that I love both versions. Warning! Disturbia is targeted to the current generation so don't go watching it expecting a shot for shot remake. The differences, however, is what makes them both so good. If you are old don't think that you won't enjoy it.

Rear Window, along with the great Jimmy Stewart, stars Grace Kelly. When Mika came out with the song Grace Kelly I had no idea who she was.



I said to my brother, "Who is Grace Kelly?" to which he responded, "What are you an idiot? He's the guy on Singin' in the Rain." Being ignorant on the subject I believed him until I later found out that Gene Kelly was in Singin' in the Rain, and Grace Kelly was Princess consort of Monaco. Who's the idiot now?

As I said earlier, I love this movie. Alfred Hitchcock is amazing in my opinion. All though some of the situations in Rear Window wouldn't happen anymore, the story is still relevant today. Disturbia is proof of that. I have seen this movie before, but had forgotten all of the particulars, so I was on the edge of my seat at times because I didn't remember what would happen next. True to his style, Hitchcock plays a cameo in this movie. Look for him in the apartment of the struggling pianist.

The Bottom Line:
Rating: 4.3
Would I own it? I would really like to.
Would I recommend it? Do you really have to ask?

No comments:

Post a Comment