My Mission

I am on a mission to watch the 100 greatest movies of all time, and watch them all in the next six months. Each film will be rated in 3 categories:
1) How much I like the move will be rated from 0-5.
2) "Would I own it?"
3) "Would I recommend it to someone else?"

Total Time Spent Watching Movies

129 hr. 56 min. 28 sec.

Saturday, January 1, 2011

North by Northwest (1959) *Gillian Pick*

What is it about spies that captures our imagination? Could it be the "Red Scare?" For those of you that don't know, the "Red Scare" was a period of Anti-Communism focused on Communists infiltrating our government. Back then, everyone was a potential spy, and it shows in the entertainment industry. I don't think it's simply a coincidence that the "Red Scare" was from 1947-1957, that Ian Flemming created James Bond in 1953, and North by Northwest was made in 1959. Whatever the real reason for our fascination with spies, North by Northwest addresses the issue, "What if you were mistaken for a spy?"

The synopsis, as told by Netflix, is "Cary Grant [stars as] an advertising executive who looks a little too much like someone else and is forced to go on the lam. Hitchcock's sure-handed comic drama pits Grant against a crop duster and lands him in a fight for his life on Mount Rushmore -- a true cliffhanger if ever there was one." I am sorry but everything about that sounds awesome. I love Hitchcock's work, Cary Grant is everything I want to be (He is dashing and has a great voice), and crop dusters daredevils disguised as farmers. Here is a trailer:



I must first express my disappointment that for being a spy movie there was no shoe phone like on Get Smart, but I suppose I have no choice but to live with it.


Really though, this movie was pretty good. Compared to some of the other garbage I've had to watch, this was a nice change. I don't know if I would say it belongs on AFI's list, but it definitely has more of a right to be on there then some of the other movies.

Quick tidbit: Like Hitchcock's other movies, he has a cameo in North by Northwest. Look for him missing a bus at the end of the opening credits.

The bottom line:
Rating: 4.0
Would I own it? Only after I buy Psycho and and Rear Window.
Would I recommend it? I certainly would.

No comments:

Post a Comment