My Mission

I am on a mission to watch the 100 greatest movies of all time, and watch them all in the next six months. Each film will be rated in 3 categories:
1) How much I like the move will be rated from 0-5.
2) "Would I own it?"
3) "Would I recommend it to someone else?"

Total Time Spent Watching Movies

129 hr. 56 min. 28 sec.

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial (1982)

People have always been afraid of aliens. Why else do you think the Mexican border is so hard to get across? I bet when I said "aliens" you thought I was talking about spacemen didn't you? Well I was...wrap your head around that one. What is it about our society that makes us think that aliens would only come thousands of light-years to Earth to take us over? Are we really that self-centered? Unlike many other alien movies E.T. shows a group of aliens whose only purpose for coming to Earth seems to be to gain knowledge. What's so scary about that? Apparently a lot. I've heard of many people being scared of E.T. when they were little. One such example is skateboarder Ron Deily. In an interview with Thrasher magazine he said, "For three or four years I used to have night terrors about E.T. coming down the hallway, standing in front of my door, and #@&%ing with my little brothers. I used to be on the top bunk. He would walk slowly over to my bunk bed, crawl up, and hover over me while I'm freaking out under the blankets. It was so real to me it was retarded. I would stay up for days. It was the craziest $%#@ ever and it happened in three different houses...I'd be throwing pillows at him and he'd run out of the room screaming."

E.T. is really nothing to be afraid of. The movie is about a society of aliens that come to Earth on a knowledge quest. When it's time to go all the aliens get on board the spaceship except for one little guy. Ever wonder why he got left behind? Well wonder no more:



After being left behind, E.T. (which is just a nickname given to him by some earth kids) finds his way to a little broken home. He does so narrowly escaping the man with the jingle keys, who appears to be some sort of government worker. Elliot, who lives with his brother, sister, and newly divorced mother, finds E.T. and like any kid with a newly found animal tries to keep it for a pet. They form an emotional bond, meaning that they feel each others' emotions, and begin to have adventures together. When the man with the jingle keys finds E.T.'s whereabouts all hell breaks loose, and so E.T. and Elliot will stop at nothing to get E.T. home.

This movie has become such a classic that on the 20th anniversary they re-released E.T. to the silver screen. I knew back then that I would regret it if I didn't go see it on the big screen, but that didn't get me to go. I will forever live in regret knowing that I didn't go see it when I had the chance. Just as well I suppose. For the 20th anniversary they did some alterations, including changing the shotguns in the government agents' hands for walkie-talkies.

This movie is filled with funny moments, great special effects, and a story line that pulls at the heart strings. Steven Spielberg, the director, has said that it is the highlight of his career. Something you may not know: E.T. is loosely based on an imaginary friend that Spielberg had when his parents got a divorce. Pretty cool huh?

The bottom line:
Rating: 4.6
Would I own it? You know it dude.
Would I recommend it? You know it dude...again.

No comments:

Post a Comment